My son Woody turned six in November of 2011. That would have been the kindergarten year for most kids, 180 days that mark the beginning of the school career. But Woody did his learning in the big, wide, beautiful world, without school being a part of it.

I'm Teresa Honey, and I kept this blog to document this time in my son's life, to share pictures and stories with far-away friends and relatives, and to add ours to the many stories of families living rich, engaging, loving lives with learning happening all the time and in many forms, totally inseparable from every other part of being human.

Here you'll find 180 or so learning moments recorded from August, 2011 to April, 2012 in the life of a 5-turned-6-year-old radically unschooled kid.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

176

Today I have been in a state of mild distraction. To tell the truth, one may say that I was obsessing just a little bit about a health issue I probably don't even have, so when I caught myself staring off into the distance with my mind fixed on symptoms real or dreaded, I started cooking. I went right for the gorgeous fresh produce and good meats. We had eggs with buttered green beans for breakfast. Cole slaw with a white bean salad for lunch. Yogurt and red pepper strips and little sausage patties for snacks. Dinner may be more cole slaw and roast chicken.

We made the mayonnaise for the cole slaw together using eggs, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, and cayenne pepper whipped into emulsion in the blender. That was fun, but was messy and really loud, and took longer than any of us expected.


On days like today, it feels like this with the boys: 



It was mostly peaceful coexistence with stretches of doing things together and then doing things apart, sometimes circling back to find one another again. 

Yesterday, when Daddy Honey came home, Woody told him that he wanted to start a leaf collection. (I think he may have gotten this idea from a Franklin episode?) So they went through the back and side yards looking for cool leaves. Daddy Honey can identify a fair number of trees, and we looked up some others in our tree book which, while written for Floridians, still is full of good information pertaining to trees here in Arkansas. (And also, it was written by our dear friend Hope's dad, Gil, and he inscribed it to me, and so it will always, always have a place on our shelf, even if we move to New Zealand.) Daddy Honey's favorite is a Catalpa, so they went down the street to where the one is that he passes every day walking to and from work. Its leaf is the big one down there.