My son Woody turned six in November of 2011. That would have been the kindergarten year for most kids, 180 days that mark the beginning of the school career. But Woody did his learning in the big, wide, beautiful world, without school being a part of it.

I'm Teresa Honey, and I kept this blog to document this time in my son's life, to share pictures and stories with far-away friends and relatives, and to add ours to the many stories of families living rich, engaging, loving lives with learning happening all the time and in many forms, totally inseparable from every other part of being human.

Here you'll find 180 or so learning moments recorded from August, 2011 to April, 2012 in the life of a 5-turned-6-year-old radically unschooled kid.

Monday, April 9, 2012

166

We had the most wonderful Easter. It started out a little rough; I was sad this morning for reasons I couldn't pinpoint and I was having trouble rallying for the holiday. But I went to church, like usual on Sundays, not realizing until afterward that this was the first Easter in probably two decades that I'd attended church. And it was good. Then, this afternoon we headed out to my friend Candice's house for an Easter party and egg hunt.

Candice and I "met" online through an unschooling forum a year and a half before, coincidentally, I would move to the same small part of the Ozarks where she lives. I could tell online that she was brilliant, warm, wise, down-to-earth, and really funny. But in person, she glows. She is positively magnetic, and attracts into her life other wonderful human beings. It is so clear that with her whole heart she loves her family, she loves her friends, and she loves life. And you'll never meet anybody more real than Candice, which is eminently likeable, but also freeing.

She organizes an unschooler play group and calender of cool goings-on--an indispensable service to the unschoolers and relaxed homeschoolers here. And also, Woody considers her little boy Arlo to be his best friend. Daily, I thank my lucky Sagittarius stars that I landed in this part of the world.