My son Woody turned six in November of 2011. That would have been the kindergarten year for most kids, 180 days that mark the beginning of the school career. But Woody did his learning in the big, wide, beautiful world, without school being a part of it.

I'm Teresa Honey, and I kept this blog to document this time in my son's life, to share pictures and stories with far-away friends and relatives, and to add ours to the many stories of families living rich, engaging, loving lives with learning happening all the time and in many forms, totally inseparable from every other part of being human.

Here you'll find 180 or so learning moments recorded from August, 2011 to April, 2012 in the life of a 5-turned-6-year-old radically unschooled kid.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

154



Today is the first day of spring, and we woke up to rain. I had wanted to do a play day at the park bringing sketch books and colored pencils for whomever wanted to draw, but it looked like that was an activity for another day. So with Raffi on Pandora, we sang and ate breakfast of sausage and oranges, then the boys played Star Wars action figures and Fire Boy and Water Girl while I cleaned up and thought about what we might do. Washing out a jelly jar, I had a memory of my friend and former co-teacher, Sharon, who used to make collages of seed catalog images on whatever saved containers we had around the classroom in the spring. There was a small, flower-picture covered terra cotta pot on the window sill in the kitchen of the middle school the whole time we taught there together. 

I intentionally didn't send off for seed catalogs this year since I have seeds aplenty to fill our three 4 x 4 raised beds, but I did still have lots of colored tissue paper from our window star craft back in December. So, I quietly went about gathering the materials for our Sharon-inspired craft on this day of close-to-equal day and night, "stained glass" candle holders. 

Woody says his--in the middle of the trio--is meant to be "an evil lord laughing on a moonlit night." The grape hyacinths are blooming, the baby birds are hatching, the creeks are swelled with spring rain, the wild garlic in the backyard is knee-high, and the evil lord is laughing. 

Welcome, spring.