My son Woody turned six in November of 2011. That would have been the kindergarten year for most kids, 180 days that mark the beginning of the school career. But Woody did his learning in the big, wide, beautiful world, without school being a part of it.

I'm Teresa Honey, and I kept this blog to document this time in my son's life, to share pictures and stories with far-away friends and relatives, and to add ours to the many stories of families living rich, engaging, loving lives with learning happening all the time and in many forms, totally inseparable from every other part of being human.

Here you'll find 180 or so learning moments recorded from August, 2011 to April, 2012 in the life of a 5-turned-6-year-old radically unschooled kid.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

129

We woke up to clear, blue skies and a sun already warming the 50-degree day into a 60-degree day, where it would stay, with a light breeze, well into the afternoon. It's dangerously easy to love Florida on days like today.



We started by going to the strawberry U-pick farm in Sorrento. Woody had a method. Fox had a hunger for strawberries.





Then, turkey sandwiches on the screen porch, cleaning strawberries, and climbing the Magnolia at my sister's house.



And finally, a drive out to west Orlando for my 14-year-old nephew's boat race, a huge event with rowing teams from Miami to Jacksonville competing. I was a rower for about five minutes at my time at the University of Florida, and I often think about picking it back up, though I haven't yet investigated how decidedly un-athletic, approaching-middle-aged women go about joining a crew team.

The day was full of whys--why do we suck the air out of the freezer bags of strawberries, why so many houses in Florida are cinder block ranch styles, why crew teams face backwards but go forwards, why there are separate men's and women's bathrooms. Those kinds of questions are my favorite because they come up completely organically, apropos of something in our lives at that moment, and we all get to mull and guess and offer what we know.

Also, we had a pooping moment. Both my kids are shy about pooping places other than in our home (or the homes of the relatives or friends we are visiting). I think this may be a genetic trait. So, it was a mad 19-mile dash across the city of Orlando with a moaning Woody in the back seat trying desperately to wish away the poop feeling getting more urgent by the moment.

We made it. We had a little talk about the advantages and disadvantages of pooping in public restrooms.

And, my seven-year-old niece made scrambled eggs for herself for the first time! I remembered in that moment what inspired me to get my education degree all those many years ago; I really, truly love being part of other people's learning moments.