My son Woody turned six in November of 2011. That would have been the kindergarten year for most kids, 180 days that mark the beginning of the school career. But Woody did his learning in the big, wide, beautiful world, without school being a part of it.

I'm Teresa Honey, and I kept this blog to document this time in my son's life, to share pictures and stories with far-away friends and relatives, and to add ours to the many stories of families living rich, engaging, loving lives with learning happening all the time and in many forms, totally inseparable from every other part of being human.

Here you'll find 180 or so learning moments recorded from August, 2011 to April, 2012 in the life of a 5-turned-6-year-old radically unschooled kid.

Monday, February 6, 2012

124

This delighted me tremendously: As I was packing our suitcases yesterday, Woody asked me cheerfully, "Where are we headed this time?," as if the surprise of the destination was part of the great fun of traveling, as if it were the most natural thing in the world to hit the road with one's family. And really, to him, I guess it is.

I watched a "Good Morning America" special with Matt Lauer on unschooling a few months ago where Matt speculated that since a lot of unschoolers travel, they must be wealthy. (The special is OK, makes a few good points, a few silly ones. Par for the broadcast TV course, I suppose.)

I can't speak for most unschoolers, but I can tell you that we travel cheap by staying with family and friends and not doing the expensive things in the cities we land in. I don't know that I've touched much on money in this blog, and I don't know if it really matters that much, but in case you and Matt Lauer are of the same mind, I can tell you that what we do we do on the income of one university librarian and a grandiose heap of student loan debt. I think it's like anything else--when something is important to you, you try to figure out ways to push off some bills and scrimp on some expenses and make it happen. Car repairs, braces, trips to the ER. The money's not often sitting waiting ready for these things, but sometimes (not always) you can move money around to get it where you want it. We add that to the list of things Dave Ramsey would disapprove of in our lives. Traveling, especially to see family, is one of those important things for us.

This morning, we are off to Memphis, Tennessee, where the boys' Aunt Annie, Daddy Honey's sister, lives. It's a five-hour drive, and we hope to do a bit of sightseeing before meeting Ann, Brian, Lizzie and Patrick back at their place in the late afternoon. It may be ill advised; there was puking last night, and middle-of-the-night wakefulness from stomachaches. (Isn't that always the way right before a big day?) But we are letting the momentum of the event carry us onward, Eastward, to trolley cars along the Mississippi.

****

Added later, pictures from the day: