My son Woody turned six in November of 2011. That would have been the kindergarten year for most kids, 180 days that mark the beginning of the school career. But Woody did his learning in the big, wide, beautiful world, without school being a part of it.

I'm Teresa Honey, and I kept this blog to document this time in my son's life, to share pictures and stories with far-away friends and relatives, and to add ours to the many stories of families living rich, engaging, loving lives with learning happening all the time and in many forms, totally inseparable from every other part of being human.

Here you'll find 180 or so learning moments recorded from August, 2011 to April, 2012 in the life of a 5-turned-6-year-old radically unschooled kid.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

72

Oh, how I am embracing the flops.

For post 72, I will tell you about the cinnamon dough ornaments and tissue-paper window stars that we made on our last day with Nana and Aila.


Cinnamon dough smells amazing while you're making it, and even more so while it's baking. And when you make ornaments out of it, your box of holiday decorations smells of cinnamon all year and when you open it up again the next year. I was really, really looking forward to this activity. 

Aila loved it and carefully chose holiday-themed shapes: trees, hearts, diamonds, stars. Fox grabbed what caught his eye: a tooth, a pair of pliers, a rocket, a wrench. Woody pressed a ghost in the dough and then went to do what he had been really wanting to do all morning: try to camouflage himself in the backyard.


He did pretty good, I thought. I can't quite figure out why closing his eyes mattered for the effect, but he was pleased with it. While the ornaments were baking, I went outside with him to play soldier. He held my hand.


Back inside, I showed the kids how to make the window stars. 


I got the idea from the Waldorf blogs I've been reading. The idea is to bring bright, colorful, geometric beauty into your home. Woody wanted a black and white star, and he wanted me to make it for him.

Fair enough.



So my mom and I made the stars while Aila and Woody played with the leftover cinnamon dough. And don't you know they did something far cooler and more imaginative than I could have dreamed up.


And I need to share something. After they played this, Aila and Fox made horse stables out of blocks and Woody went back outside to play cammo in the bushes. Do you know what I did? Folded all the clothes in a laundry basket for the first time in I don't know how long.