My son Woody turned six in November of 2011. That would have been the kindergarten year for most kids, 180 days that mark the beginning of the school career. But Woody did his learning in the big, wide, beautiful world, without school being a part of it.

I'm Teresa Honey, and I kept this blog to document this time in my son's life, to share pictures and stories with far-away friends and relatives, and to add ours to the many stories of families living rich, engaging, loving lives with learning happening all the time and in many forms, totally inseparable from every other part of being human.

Here you'll find 180 or so learning moments recorded from August, 2011 to April, 2012 in the life of a 5-turned-6-year-old radically unschooled kid.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

68

I had insomnia last night, or rather, I woke up at 5 a.m. and couldn't get back to bed. On those mornings, I feel compelled to be productive, but it's just my brain that's racing, not my verve. So, I surf the Internet for interesting activities to do with the boys. We've been liking origami, so I thought to try to make those pretty Waldorf window stars. This tutorial was nice, but this blog was positively full of fodder for the craft-hungry. Around 7 a.m., Woody and Aila woke up, and they wanted to see what  I'd been looking at. We spent a few minutes looking at the different things these mamas and their kids did. And, most unexpectedly, Woody asked if we could make these folks.

So we did. I set the table up for crafts with newspaper and the glue gun. He found the Sweet Gum balls, a stick for the body and small sticks for arms. Can he have a shirt? he asked. Then he picked the felt. He described the shirt he wanted. This was to be the General of the Fairies, so Woody thought khaki sleeveless would work. I first drew butterfly wings, but no, he wanted dragonfly wings. And then he named his fairy Jack and off he flew with Aila's water princess to play pretend on the top bunk.


"I like our toys we made ourselves," he said to me. 

Note taken.