My son Woody turned six in November of 2011. That would have been the kindergarten year for most kids, 180 days that mark the beginning of the school career. But Woody did his learning in the big, wide, beautiful world, without school being a part of it.

I'm Teresa Honey, and I kept this blog to document this time in my son's life, to share pictures and stories with far-away friends and relatives, and to add ours to the many stories of families living rich, engaging, loving lives with learning happening all the time and in many forms, totally inseparable from every other part of being human.

Here you'll find 180 or so learning moments recorded from August, 2011 to April, 2012 in the life of a 5-turned-6-year-old radically unschooled kid.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

53



I used our stay-at-home day to go through the toys to sort and clean them. The boys love it when I do this. It's as if they are seeing all their cool toys for the first time all over again. They pull out the most random stuff to play with, too; here, I have sorted big and little Legos, Playmobil sets, and wooden forest toys, and what Woody is doing is stuffing as many Nerf gun bullets as he can into MarbleWorks tubes in order to make towers full of people.



A friend of my mom gave this to my sister and I when we were younger, maybe 9 and 13? I loved it then, and my boys love it now. The house we live in has nice, flat tile floors, too, so it spins and spins and spins forever.


Today was a day of many books, too, since I was tidying the bookshelf. I have grown uncontrollably weepy since having children, and I got misty-eyed reading this part of Cactus Hotel where the 200-year-old Saguaro cactus "falls with a thud to the sandy floor" and "Its great thorny arms crumble in the crash."

I know. Cactuses. I cry at dying cactuses. 

And, since it was bone-chilly, windy, and gray out, and since we are still consuming many apples in this lovely autumn apple season, I made homemade apple sauce. This, the boys liked very much. It, plus a couple of bananas each, was pretty much dinner.


And on my way home from choir practice, I had to choose between Queen's "Somebody to Love" and the Beatles' "With a Little Help from my Friends" on competing radio stations. Woody would have appreciated my dilemma since, when both artists came on our Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young Pandora station this afternoon, he was reminded of his deep fanship.

That was probably my favorite part of the day. We played pretend and danced to that station for a good hour this afternoon, being bandits and cowboys to Dylan, dancing to CSNY, singing to Van Morrison, and swaying and head-bobbing to the music in the background when our attentions were divided. 


While I was at church, the boys fell fast asleep, tuckered out by our previous busy days, probably, but also a stay-at-home day that was far from still.