My son Woody turned six in November of 2011. That would have been the kindergarten year for most kids, 180 days that mark the beginning of the school career. But Woody did his learning in the big, wide, beautiful world, without school being a part of it.

I'm Teresa Honey, and I kept this blog to document this time in my son's life, to share pictures and stories with far-away friends and relatives, and to add ours to the many stories of families living rich, engaging, loving lives with learning happening all the time and in many forms, totally inseparable from every other part of being human.

Here you'll find 180 or so learning moments recorded from August, 2011 to April, 2012 in the life of a 5-turned-6-year-old radically unschooled kid.

Monday, October 10, 2011

30

I realized  I needed to slow down some in my posting or else my 180 days would whirl by far faster than the school year's, which is what I set out to approximate when I started the blog.

So, we might start taking the weekends off, or maybe a day or two here and there. We'll see.

Today we took our quart Mason jar full of coins up to the bank to get it collated and exchanged for cash. (I forgot to get a picture of it ahead of time. Just imagine a big, wide-mouth quart jar full of pennies, nickles, and dimes. Not quarters. We save quarters specially for parking and handing out to people at intersections.)

Woody guessed the jar held about $10. Pretty good guess, I thought. I went a bit higher at $12. Fox didn't venture a guess, but wanted a lollipop from each mug at each teller's window. I went with the distraction method on that one.

The teller dumped our jar into the bin where his hand is resting, and our coins fell into the appropriate bags below. (Not all that money came from our jar.) The machine wasn't quite as enchanting as I'd hoped. I was picturing something more Willy Wonka-ish.



Turns out we had $14.58, as well as an assortment of oddities. We have no idea where the foreign coins came from. The button was likely a Fox deposit, but the rocks are a great mystery. How did they get through the slit cut in the top of the lid, which, as far as I knew, had been screwed on tight for the last six months? The tellers said they get all kinds of weird things in coin jars. The scariest one, they said, was a live bullet!

We consider the coin jar to be "fun money," so we went to the dollar store for 1) a toy plane launcher, 2) a package of Halloween erasers, and 3) a huge 2X magnifying glass. With the rest of the money, we'll be going to the art supply store tomorrow for a bag of clay.