My son Woody turned six in November of 2011. That would have been the kindergarten year for most kids, 180 days that mark the beginning of the school career. But Woody did his learning in the big, wide, beautiful world, without school being a part of it.

I'm Teresa Honey, and I kept this blog to document this time in my son's life, to share pictures and stories with far-away friends and relatives, and to add ours to the many stories of families living rich, engaging, loving lives with learning happening all the time and in many forms, totally inseparable from every other part of being human.

Here you'll find 180 or so learning moments recorded from August, 2011 to April, 2012 in the life of a 5-turned-6-year-old radically unschooled kid.

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Day 6

You know what I love? Heather Cushman-Dowdee, the artist behind Hathor the Cow Goddess, says that she did not really base the Hathor super-mom and milk-goddess character on herself, but that she does "have astonishing levels of patience and more love than many mere mortals." I love that phrasing.

That's what I want. Astonishing levels of patience. I work really, really hard at that. I'm not astonished yet, but I am getting better. I'm more patient than I was two years ago. I'm way more patient than I was ten years ago. And right now, in this moment, thinking and writing about my beautiful boys, trying to get down a tiny description of one brief moment in their astonishing huge lives, I feel very patient. I feel like I could take all day to do just that one thing. (Only I'd probably very soon want to be building with ice cubes, or duct-taping foam swords, or drawing pirate treasure maps of the backyard ocean.)

So. On to Day 6's moment.

Woody is still enthralled with the walkie-talkies, but he grew tired of us pretending to make the Morse code sounds. He was ready to try batteries. Off we went in search of 9-volts. Back at home, I made a quick lunch while he took the batteries out of the package to try them in the walkie-talkies. Did I know that when you held the two batteries together, they sparked? AND, they got hot?!? Cool!

Well, that was the perfect time for a quick description of currents and chemical electricity. (And it's good that it was a quick, because fifteen seconds was all he probably wanted, and about exhausted my personal knowledge of electricity, and I had to do a Google search later to be able to fill in the gaps.)



Only one of the two (50-cent) walkie-talkies worked, but the other one we took apart to see what the problem could be. We thought it might have to do with the fact that the speaker is no longer attached to any wires, and we are presently testing adhesive materials to find one that conducts electricity.