My son Woody turned six in November of 2011. That would have been the kindergarten year for most kids, 180 days that mark the beginning of the school career. But Woody did his learning in the big, wide, beautiful world, without school being a part of it.

I'm Teresa Honey, and I kept this blog to document this time in my son's life, to share pictures and stories with far-away friends and relatives, and to add ours to the many stories of families living rich, engaging, loving lives with learning happening all the time and in many forms, totally inseparable from every other part of being human.

Here you'll find 180 or so learning moments recorded from August, 2011 to April, 2012 in the life of a 5-turned-6-year-old radically unschooled kid.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

21

Woody found this big tomato hornworm yesterday evening on an unidentified shrub growing in the middle of the backyard fence. He looks full-grown here, maybe about 4 weeks old, and should be making his way to the soil soon to pupate and overwinter. I hope he finds somewhere safe to bury where the dog (grumble grumble) isn't going to dig him up in his obsessive search for moles.

I wonder how we missed him all this time, where he was while he was getting so honkin' big. As gardeners, I know we're expected to hate them, but they're easy to relocate, and they become the beautiful hawk moths.


***

We checked back on him late this afternoon, and it took us the longest time to find him. And then, wouldn't you know it, he was right under our noses the whole time. Camouflage is a funny thing, especially the neon-green variety that looks exactly like sunlight shining through leaves.

We got a better view of him this time, and those little sucker feet are something! 


***

OK, I may be taking this a little far, but I went ahead and made a video, something I've been meaning to learn how to do anyway. You can see better in the pictures, and you can read here everything I say about it, but if you're interested in hearing me talk here it is. Also, you get a good view of the dog with the dirt-happy feet there in the background.